Monday, April 11, 2011

fruit pizza, FTW!!

What's better than the first grill-out of the summer? When the day you have the first grill-out of the summer also includes tornado warnings! Nothing says hello summer like tornado warnings and hail damage. I love it!

I also love fruit pizza. So, I made some.


When my friends and I decided to get together at one of our houses yesterday to grill food and hang out, I had planned on making cupcakes. I've been wanting to make cupcakes for quite some time now because I can't stop watching DC Cupcakes on TLC. I'm so obsessed with the idea of making pretty and yummy cupcakes, that when my parents were recently in Washington DC, I begged them to go there and get some. Which, they did.


But they didn't bring any back. They did, however, send me a picture of the cupcakes they got:


I felt bad that they didn't bring me any, but my mom said they would have been stale by the time they got home, and she also said that they weren't that good. At least not good enough to wait 2 hours in line for like some people did.


She is smart and ordered them a day ahead of time and didn't have to wait at all. Who waits in line for a mediocre cupcake? Not my parents. And neither would I. I would, however, take the time to make a non-mediocre cupcake. My dad said that my cupcakes taste way better. So, this is why I wanted to do it.

But then I was tired. And I realized that cupcakes.....make way too many. And they aren't that good for you. Neither is fruit pizza, but at least there is fruit on it and at least it doesn't take long to make. Plus, I've never met anyone who doesn't like fruit pizza. If you don't like fruit pizza, there is probably something wrong with you.

You should make this. There are a lot of recipes out there, and I use this one. It's really good. You'll need these things:

  • A pizza pan (one with sides is best)
  • 8oz of cream cheese
  • 1/2 tsp of almond extract (or vanilla, or orange, or whatever you think would be good)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 roll of sugar cookie dough (the kind in the refrigerated section)
  • fruit (I used 1/2 container of strawberries and 4 kiwis)
Look, this one is Italian.


Press your cookie dough into the pizza pan and bake per the instructions on the package. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.


Make the "pizza sauce" by combining the cream cheese, sugar, and extract together with your mixer using the paddle attachment on high until fluffy. Spread onto cooled crust. Like this!



Cut up your fruit. I peel the kiwi like this first, and then cut into circles.


Clean your strawberries and then cut into slices, like this.



Then arrange them onto your pizza. Then tell your friends you are bringing it to their house so they can get excited to eat it.

Then leave your house and head over to your friend's house with your fruit pizza which is around 24 minutes away, and turn around after driving 8 minutes on the highway because you realize you are driving right into a tornado. Go to your parents house and wait the storm out while eating a snack and watching The Weather Channel while your dad teaches you all about clouds and what causes thunder.

You don't have to do that last part, but that's what I did.

1 comment: