Saturday, February 5, 2011

pregnancy symptoms

Someone mentioned I should keep track of my pregnancy symptoms. Why? I don't know. Maybe because she thinks it's funny. :) Or, maybe it'd be helpful for other people. Also, it's nice to look back and remember, "Oh yeah, I remember that. That was really super. I loved having cramps in my left butt cheek for extended lengths of time!"

So, some things I've experienced to date.

  • Nausea - This started two weeks before my missed period and didn't let up until I was around 13 weeks pregnant. No joke, I was nauseous all day long. It was horrible. I didn't take medication for it. I just dealt with it. Nothing helped.
  • Dizzy spells - This was an early symptom, and one of the first things that made me know I was pregnant. It happened both times. I'd get dizzy spells for no reason, mainly at night. It wasn't low blood sugar or lack of water. It was...well, I don't know what it was. It was me bring pregnant.
  • Dry heaving (YEAH!!) - This went along with the nausea. Sometimes I still get it, usually after I brush my teeth in the morning, along with the excess saliva. I don't know if it's because of the toothpaste or what. Nausea usually follows, and I'm currently at 15 weeks. I don't like it.
  • Heartburn/acid reflux - Disgusting. The pregnancy hormones relax the ring between your esophagus and stomach (which normally stays closed to prevent stuff from your stomach coming up), which causes a lot of great things. Mainly, stomach acid comes back up causing heartburn and it sucks. For me, drinking milk helped and so did eating Tums. But I think Tums are gross. Drinking water didn't help. Eating bland food helped. If this is happening to you, stay away from acidic food because it will only make it worse. You might have to sleep upright too.
  • Headaches - I haven't had many of these. Just a few, and they've been pretty bad. I find that staying hydrated helps.
  • Mild cramping/pulling on the sides and lower areas of my abdomen - This has subsided for the most part, but I still get it now and then. It's nothing to worry about. The ligaments that hold up your uterus stretch as your uterus grows, so this is referred to round ligament pain. It's totally normal, but you should call your doctor if you're concerned about any cramping or anything that has you bending over in pain.
  • Dry mouth - usually in the mornings, probably because I'm dehydrated.
  • Excessive saliva (eww) - this usually comes along with the nausea and makes it worse. See the above comment about brushing my teeth.
  • Constipation - this hasn't been terrible. Staying hydrated and eating a lot of fiber helps, but not always. It's pretty normal, unfortunately.
  • Diarrhea - same as above.
  • Mood swings - Unfortunately for my husband, this probably won't go away anytime soon. I've noticed that it has tapered off slightly since the first trimester. I think it was worse initially because of the sharp increase in hormones. But, this is normal too. Try not to be irrational. Then again, that's next to impossible. I can't even begin to tell you what I've gotten upset or cried about. It's a losing battle.
  • Dry, itchy skin - Use lotion. Drink water. That's all I can say!
  • Pretty hair - My hair doesn't fall out in the shower anymore. It's long and thick and shiny and I love it! I did have to go and get it thinned out because it was becoming unmanageable due to it growing so fast and not falling out. That's okay with me. This has been a great thing.
  • Stuffiness/congestion - This started about a month into the pregnancy and has not stopped. And, it probably won't. Every morning my nose is stuffed up and I'm sneezing. It might be partially because it's winter, but this is super common in pregnancy, known as "rhinitis of pregnancy." It will go away after you have the baby.
  • To go along with the above, nose bleeds - Oh joy! I haven't had anything bad; usually just when I blow my nose. But it can be worse for some other people. What helps is having a vaporizer in your room (especially if it's in the winter time). Don't confuse this with a cold water humidifier. You need an actual vaporizer. It prevents bacteria from being spewed into the air from whatever is in the water. Get one, it helps a lot, and you feel better.
  • Hot flashes - This started recently. Up through the first trimester, I was always cold. Now I find myself kicking the covers off at night.
  • Feeling cold - See above. I was freezing. Our heating bill sky rocketed. Then again, it has been a very cold winter, but I haven't been feeling as cold lately.
  • Lower back pain - This happens if I sit for too long. I have a desk job, and I find if I don't get up regularly, my lower back and tailbone hurt really badly. Going to a chiropractor on a regular basis has helped a ton.
  • Shoulder/neck pain - Usually if I'm not sleeping right. Good pillows and a good bed are really important. And a good husband to rub you. :)
  • Patulous Eustachian Disorder - This has been the star of the show recently. I thought something was wrong with me because my left ear has been acting like I'm in an airplane...and it has felt that way for nearly two weeks now. It's like I'm walking around with a bucket on my head. If I turn my head all the way to the left, or if I press on my neck, or hang my head upside down, or lay down, it goes away. I can't function that way though. My ears feel so stuffed up, and the doctor said that they appear clear and not swollen or infected. So they can do nothing for me. Here's a better explanation of this symptom, which is apparently common in pregnancy for some people. Sorry if you have it. It blows.
  • Lack of appetite - first trimester. Usually because of nausea. I ate plain pasta and that was it for several weeks.
  • Being really hungry - Now I'm hungry, but can't think of what I want to eat half the time.
  • Weird cravings - I haven't had a ton of specific cravings lately. Usually, I want something and I get it, and then the craving never comes back. Except for my craving for meat lately, mainly cheeseburgers. Even that is starting to taper off though. I haven't told my husband. I think it might make him sad.
  • Fatigue - This isn't as bad now, but it was pretty bad during the first trimester. I felt like I couldn't get enough sleep. Now, I find myself tired in the mornings and at the end of the day, but I'm usually able to get through a full work day without a problem.
  • Insomnia - This comes and goes. Taking Benadryl before bed helps me stay sleeping, and that has been okay with my doctor. But, you should make sure it's okay before you do that. Also, getting up to pee every two hours doesn't help much. Sometimes I'll wake up at 2am and can't get back to sleep. It's not fun!
  • Leg/butt cramps - Occasionally (like last night) I will get cramps in the back of my thigh and up to my butt cheek. Stretching sometimes helps, but it didn't last night. I slept with my legs elevated and was able to get some rest, but it's still hurting. If Husband wasn't gone this weekend, he would rub it and it would feel better. I'm going to see if eating a banana might help, because maybe I'm lacking potassium. Drinking water helps too. But, unfortunately, sometimes there's nothing you can do. I've heard a warm bath helps, but I haven't tried that.
  • Bleeding/spotting - usually light pink or brown, and for some people red. I have not experienced this. I did experience it with my first pregnancy, but that doesn't count because I was miscarrying. So, if this is happening to you, it would be good to tell your doctor. It can be pretty common, especially in the first trimester, and usually okay. Sometimes it happens shortly after implantation, known as implantation bleeding, after the embryo has burrowed itself into the side of your uterus. A friend of mine had it in the second trimester, and it turned out to be from her round ligaments stretching (she was fine). But if it's bright red and includes tissue, that's not good. You should always call your doctor anytime you have bleeding just to make sure it's okay.
  • Bleeding gums - I have not experienced this, but this is common, too. Your gums become sensitive and swollen and will bleed when you brush or floss. No fun, but nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment