Sunday, February 20, 2011

unrest

I haven't posted for a while. It has been like, a week. Ha! Luckily, I haven't lost my phone again. Hooray! It has been a weird week though, and I'm glad that it's over, and I hope that it's not so bad going forward.

As you recall, I had taken a Friday off to go shopping and then I lost my phone. It was a great shopping day and a great day with my best friends. The following Monday (last Monday) I only worked a half-day because I had to head down to our state capital for some stupid work thing. I work for the state, so that's where everything else is centrally located. I love it down there, but only if I'm going for fun. Going for work sucks, because it's crowded, busy, and I'm there for a boring reason. So I went down there Monday afternoon, sat through the most boring day of my life on Tuesday, and returned home on Tuesday night. I then went to work Wednesday and that's when everything just fell apart. My case load is out of control. Being gone for nearly three days didn't help because everything was late and I didn't have the time to catch up. So Wednesday and Thursday were spent playing catch-up and not getting far, and then Friday I left at 12:45 because I couldn't take it anymore. I have this upcoming Monday off for a furlough day. I really haven't been at work much, yet I still have my 40 hours in and have nothing to show for it. Lameness. I hate getting behind on my work, but whatever. I give up.

Along with all of that, this is the week that the governor of my state has unveiled his plan to pretty much change everything in terms of state jobs and collective bargaining rights. I'm still not entirely positive what the point is. I understand we may have a deficit and I understand the need to make certain sacrifices to help eliminate that. I don't mind paying more for health care or paying more into my pension. Sure, whatever. Even doing that, this job is still better than any job I've ever had and I'm fine. But to eliminate collective bargaining altogether doesn't make any sense. I don't see how it would help the budget. And it won't. It will, however, give him the opportunity to pass additional bills going forward which would continue to negatively affect state employees. Of course, nobody knows what they are, but we're all assuming it's going to be something devastating because he doesn't want to give us the opportunity to fight anything or negotiate. It's a bit unsettling. As a result, the protests started on Wednesday and I got to be down there to witness this joyous occasion, my office being just down the street from the capital building. I left Wednesday afternoon but apparently it has only gotten worse. Several school districts throughout the state have closed school for three days in a row as a result of teachers not showing up for work in order to protest this bill, among other things. I don't blame them. But this political upheaval is stressing me out and every so often I get worried when I think about how my job will be affected if the bill passes, which it probably will. Despite the fact that all of the democrat senators have left the state and didn't show up to vote on the bill on Thursday. I question how long this is going to go on and be dragged out and what the outcome will be. Maybe it will go on for an entire year and then the governor will be recalled and it won't be an issue. I don't believe that though.

I'll be the first to say that I'm conservative and always vote republican. But I don't agree with what this guy is doing. Even if the outcome was the same, it would be nice if he would explain himself and allow people to have a voice. He's not doing that. He's acting like a father parenting a 4-year old. "You will do this. Because I said so." That's not the way to treat the people you govern. And my fellow republicans continue to spout off things saying, "It's about time state workers were brought down to our level" and "if I can't have your benefits then you shouldn't be able to have them either" and so on and so forth. So, you want everyone to be at the same level altogether? I've heard of that in the past and I think it's called communism. It didn't work either. Obviously there's more to communism than that, but come on. Seriously. If you want a state job with all the benefits, here you go. Apply for one. Certain jobs have certain benefits. Frankly, I don't make that much money. If I did, I sure wouldn't be renting a two-bedroom townhouse, among other things. When it comes down to it, when it comes to hardcore conservatives, unless this directly affects them, they don't think it's a big deal. Wait until he does something that hits your wallets. Then you can talk. I don't even know why I am bitching about this because it's a losing battle. Nobody seems to see it this way unless they are being affected by it or unless they hold liberal views altogether. Now the news is saying that state workers are offering concessions, saying that they're fine with paying extra for their benefits and pensions but just don't want the unions diminished. Nice for that to come out in the news NOW, a week later, considering the fact that they were saying that from day one. Whatever. I give up.

In any case, among all of this political unrest, I've decided to just let the whole thing stop bothering me. I have no control over what happens. And to sit around and worry about things that may or may not happen isn't good for me. Frankly, regardless, I feel that no matter what happens, God remains in control of everything when all is said and done. I'm sure He's sitting up there looking down and shaking his head in disgust over everyone's behavior.

I have faith that things will be fine, or at least me and my family will be fine, regardless of what happens.

"He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20


"Now faith is being sure of things we hope for, and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

1 comment: