Friday, November 25, 2011

The Crib Chronicles Night #4 and #5

Somehow I've gotten screwed up along the way. I posted about Night #3 when I was already well into Night #4.

Don't blame me. Blame my sleep deprivation and blame this messed up week. It's totally screwy to have Thursday off for Thanksgiving but yet have to return to work for Friday when pretty much everyone in the world who doesn't work retail gets to stay home. This is the first year I've really ever had to work the day after Thanksgiving. The past couple of years we've had the day off. It was a furlough and unpaid, but I didn't complain. Now that things have gone back to normal in terms of workdays, we don't have furloughs anymore and we have to work the day after Thanksgiving. Pretty stupid if you ask me. My job is one that revolves around talking to HR Representatives and people in that line of work don't work the day after Thanksgiving. In fact, nobody really works the day after Thanksgiving unless you work retail or in some other type of service position. Want me to go on and on about why I'm so annoyed that I had to work today? Well, I'm not going to. That's not what this post is about. But it did mess my week up. I'm so confused. Thursday felt like a Sunday and today felt like a Monday yet I feel totally unaccomplished.

So Night #4 was pretty much a failure because Sofia slept in our bed the whole night. It was tough because we didn't really stick to the routine so everything got messed up. It's hard to stick to the routine sometimes. We try and have cereal, then a bath, then a bedtime story, then a bottle...all at certain times, and it doesn't always happen.

Night #5 (last night), we had some progress. I wasn't able to get Sofia down for bed until 9pm. I am shooting for 8pm, but I won't complain. She fussed and cried a couple of times. The third time, I realized she was hungry, so I fed her and out she went. She was asleep by 10pm. I left the music on her bouncer playing. It's on a 30-minute timer. It plays soft lullaby music. It helped her a lot. She slept through until around 1:00am and she woke up and was mad. I can't remember if I fed her or not, but we did manage to get her to go back to sleep. Then she woke up at 3:00am. She had a wet diaper. By the time we had her changed, she was wide awake and didn't want to go back to sleep. If it was a weekend, I would have tried to get her to stay in her crib, but I had to work at 7:45 this morning and I just needed to sleep, so I brought her to bed. I fell asleep and I think she was talking to herself. She fell back asleep at some point.

So she isn't sleeping through the night, and I don't expect her to. The first night she actually SLEPT in her crib, it wasn't for a whole night, but that's okay. Baby steps! :)

I think another thing that might help is to cut back on her afternoon naps...either by cutting them shorter, having them earlier, or eliminating them altogether. That's going to take some time. I also think that once she starts to eat more and more solid food and less and less of a liquid diet, she'll sleep better and not be hungry as often.

Not sure how tonight will go. She ate a good amount of cereal and then fell asleep sitting up. She was at my mom and dad's today. She took a two-hour nap this morning until 12:30pm, but then my mom said she pretty much stayed up all afternoon and kept busy. By the time Husband and I arrived around 5:30, she was kind of grumpy but still happy and playing. We normally do her bath around 7pm, but we ended up eating dinner late and she had her cereal around 6:30pm and then fell asleep. She's so tired, so I'm just letting her nap for a bit while her food settles. I'll bathe her around 8:00pm. I know this might mess things up, but it's a weekend, and we planned on hanging out here (mom and dad's) for a bit tonight anyway since I was going to help my mom make a cheesecake for tomorrow. We're having our Thanksgiving tomorrow.

So we're caught up - tonight will be Night #6 of Crib Chronicles. And tomorrow Sofia gets to try some new food! I'm thinking carrots or squash.

Teehee! Look at her, tired from being all full of rice cereal. With bunny ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment