Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Flooding.

I thought I was going to have to make this entry a long one. But I decided against it. I'll just have more than one entry in the same day. You can't put everything under one entry, especially if the things you want to talk about aren't related. At all.

Just a warning. I haven't had much time over the past few days, so now I'm going to try and catch up. I am hoping it's not as much of a failure as say, trying to catch up on exercise. Giving yourself a goal of walking 3 hours a week is an easily attainable goal. But when the end of the week comes around and you haven't done any of it, it's kind of ridiculous to go and walk for three hours and expect to reap the same benefits (or even expect to actually do it). This kind of thing only worked ONCE for me, and I'd never recommend it, because the aftershock resulted in...well...I wasn't happy. I remember when I had a certain amount of weight I wanted to lose for my wedding. When I made the decision, I had a good year and a half to lose 40 pounds, and that's totally doable in that amount of time. With that mindset, I allowed myself way too much room for cheating. All of a sudden, it was 6 months until my wedding and I had actually gained 8 pounds. Seriously? I had also purchased a dress that was two sizes too small because I figured I'd fit it by the time I needed to (also something that I do not recommend). At the very last minute, I didn't just low-carb it. I no-carbed it. I ate nothing but deviled eggs and deli meat and leaf lettuce for several weeks. I did lose the weight and I fit into my dress. But I don't think anyone liked my personality. I also wouldn't recommend this. I've gained the weight back, plus more. I'm the poster child for what happens to crash dieters. I'd really like to not look like a cow. I don't need to be skinny, but I really would like my curves to actually be curves and not fat rolls. Sometimes I feel as though I look like a cheeseburger. Nobody has told me that though.

Another thing - you need to click on the pictures to get the full effect. They are pretty amazing, and I'm proud to say that I took [most] of them.

So, back to my objective. First, I'd like to talk about the recent flood of 2010. As I mentioned briefly a few days back, we had a lot of rain. So much in fact, that a town south of me was completely flooded out and evacuated. I posted a picture. I was honestly amazed and I wanted to see more. I wanted to see it in person. It would have been stupid to drive to Arcadia, so I drove to Strum instead. Strum is about 20 miles south of here. Arcadia is further down. Strum was quite neat. Here are some pictures of the tiny park they have, all flooded and waterlogged. We had a picnic here once.


Here are some pictures from my town, the very next day. This is Owen Park, down by the university. It's also where my husband and I had wedding pictures taken. Pretty fantastic.

Who knew that tennis was also a water sport? I didn't take this particular picture, by the way.



This is no duck pond. It's supposed to be a parking lot. For cars - not ducks. On this day, the ducks had taken over. It was like a duck apocalypse.

Here is Phoenix Park, not too far down on the other side of the river. This is the amphitheater, where my BFF got married. Now it's a harbor! Well, on this day it was. I imagine it is back to normal again. I also didn't take these next few pictures.

Here is what it's supposed to look like:


And here's what it looked like on Sunday:


You'll be surprised to know that this isn't actually a boat landing.


This tunnel is one you are supposed to walk through, or ride your bike.


The Chippewa River Trail is actually a bike path, not a canoe route.


And can you believe that a cop actually gave this car a ticket?

No comments:

Post a Comment