Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Things

Didn't I just get done saying that I was going to try and stay on top of this? I can't keep promises. So I try not to make them. I don't think I promised. I think it was all in my head.

Especially lately, I have trouble keeping my word in terms of things unimportant. For example, if I say, "Oh, definitely I'll post like every other day," it probably won't happen. I think I've always been like that to a degree. Like that one year when I bought a diary (before blogging was an option). The first day, January 1st, 2005: "Dear Diary, I promise to write in you every single day!" The next entry was October 15th: "Sorry."

It has been exactly one month and one day since my miscarriage. And I haven't gotten my period. Naturally, wishful thinking sets in. "OH!! I must be pregnant again." Not just for me either. I think my friends are sort of rooting for me as well. I peed on a stick today. No such luck. That's okay. Come to think of it, my period hasn't ever really been on the dot regular. Damn. I wasted another pregnancy test, and now I don't have anymore. Now I have to wait until at least payday because we're kind of broke. Oh well. Finding out 10 minutes ago that I am not currently pregnant, I went ahead and took the cold medicine I have been looking at longingly for the past 3 hours. I feel like crap. It started yesterday with a dry scratchy throat which made me cough. Today it's sore, swollen slightly, and more coughing. I took some codeine cough syrup last night along with some generic Nyquil. It didn't help. All it did was make me feel like I had downed 2 martinis when I woke up in the morning and as a result I had to ask my husband to drive me to work.

My cat makes out with her bed. I can't explain it. She purrs and kneads the cushion and licks the side of it when she gets ready to bed down for the night. What kind of cat sleeps at night? She does. She sleeps during the day too. She's getting fat.


I think football is stupid. I guess I have nothing against it personally, but I just don't care. My husband watches it, but not religiously. He's not going to die if he has to miss it and he doesn't expect me to make food for him while he watches it. That's nice. To show my appreciation for his lack of expectations, I do take it upon myself to make him a snack once in a while. This past Sunday I made him some Buffalo Chicken Dip. It was good. Even for me, being a vegetarian, I thought it was good. It was kind of spicy and gave me heartburn the next day though. I tried to convince myself that the heartburn was an early pregnancy sign, but after peeing on a stick, I now know that's most likely not the case. In any case, you should make this. It's really good. But if you get heartburn the next day, just know it's most likely due to the dip, and not that you're pregnant. Especially if you're a guy. I don't want you to worry now.

You'll need a few things.

1 cup of hot sauce
1 cup of ranch dressing
1 package of cream cheese
1 package of crumbled bleu cheese
2 large chicken breasts (whole ones, not just the halves)


First off, I didn't use chicken breasts. I bought a package of chicken tenderloin pieces, and it was about 1lb total. Secondly, I used Frank's Red Hot. It's the best kind. I also used the whole bottle. I also bought the Amish bleu cheese, because it had a horse & buggy on the package. I did buy generic cream cheese though. Please do not judge me.

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Place some parchment paper onto a cookie sheet (or a pizza pan, like I did). Unless you want your chicken to stick to the pan, which I didn't. I did this because I didn't want to use any oil to prevent sticking. Put some ground pepper on the raw chicken. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and use a fork to shred the chicken while it's still hot and easy to shred. Like this.


You can be like me and drop the camera while you are trying to take a picture of it, making a huge scary noise which causes your husband to run up the stairs with a concerned look on his face, like this.


Temporary side-note... prior to embarking on this journey to make the dip, I had purchased some fall leaf garland to hang above my cabinets. I was standing on a chair, and having a difficult time doing it. He thought that I fell.


After you have it all shredded and you have assured your husband that you are okay (and that the camera isn't broken), you can set the chicken aside and move on with your life and proceed to finish making the dip.

In a microwavable bowl, heat the cream cheese so that it's soft and creamy and not a hard block. Once this is softened (I don't know how long..do it for 30 seconds at a time until you are happy), transfer it to a large microwavable bowl which will be big enough to hold everything.


Add the chicken, ranch dressing, and hot sauce. Cover it and microwave it for a minute at a time, stirring in between each time, until it's all melted and heated through. This is a hot dip, by the way. Once everything is nice and mixed together, add the container of bleu cheese and mix again.


That's it. See, even a man can make this. Eat it with chips. I bought those blue corn chips and they were super good. Voila.

No comments:

Post a Comment