Thursday, July 21, 2011

grammatical side notes

I'm sorry, but these things annoy me to no end. I've been wasting a lot of time on the Babycenter message boards and I can't get over how annoying it is to read something when people don't know how to spell or use proper grammar. I see this on Facebook too, and I am constantly dying to correct people, but I know they'd just get offended and unfriend me.

The improper use of "lose" vs. "loose."

  • Example: When did you loose all that weight?
  • Correction: When did you lose all that weight?

The improper forms of there, their, and they're.

  • There refers to a place or a pronoun. Let's go there. There is no hope.
  • Their is a plural possessive pronoun. Their babies.
  • They're is a contraction for "they are." They're stupid.

There is no "A" in the word tomorrow.


  • It is spelled tomorrow, not tomarrow.

It's castor oil, not castrol oil or castro oil.

  • Castor oil is an oil obtained from the vegetable, the castor bean. It has many uses, one being its controversial use to self-induce labor.
  • Castrol oil is a brand of industrial and automotive lubricants which is applied to a large range of oils, greases, and similar products for lubrication. I would hope that if you are going to self-induce, you would not choose to drink this. Because, you would probably poison yourself and die.
  • Castro is a Cuban revolutionary and politician. It's also a neighborhood in the Eureka Valley in San Francisco, and is renown as one of America's finest and best known gay neighborhoods.

Your vs. you're.

  • This one murders my soul. And it happens ALL the time. "Your" is a possessive pronoun, as in "your face" or "your baby." "You're" is a contraction for "you are," as in "You're screwing up your writing by using your when you really mean you are.

It's vs. its.

  • It's is a contraction for "it is" or "it has."
  • Its is a possessive pronoun as in "that baby has crapped its diaper."

Affect vs Effect.

  • Affect is a verb. As in, "Your ability to communicate clearly will affect our friendship."
  • Effect is a noun. As in, "The effect of your poor grammar makes me hate you."

No comments:

Post a Comment