Sunday, December 19, 2010

ice cream thumbprints

I like ice cream. I like cookies. I like cookies and ice cream together. Why not make cookies that have ice cream IN THEM?!?!

My point exactly.

I signed up to do a cookie exchange at work, which I now regret, because I don't feel like doing it. But whatever, I'll make these since they are easy and awesome.

My mom used to make Christmas cookies a lot when I was a kid. There were these particular cookies that I really loved. They weren't too sweet, they were flaky and light and just super unique and good. She didn't like making them because it made her hands cold. So she stopped making them. But guess what. I found the recipe and I am making them now. JOY!!


I tried for years to find it on the internet and couldn't find it anywhere. Which I don't get because it's the easiest recipe ever. This leads me to believe that I am one of the few that actually have the recipe (now that I have located the cookbook that my mom used). My mom bought this cookbook back in 1991 when we lived in Colorado. It was a local thing and there were only 5,000 copies printed. I'm so excited that my mom gave it to me. It's filled with unique recipes like Pineapple Squares, Homemade Andes Mints, Angel Food Cookies, Almond Ravioli Cookies...there's even a recipe for French Waffle Cookies where you use a waffle iron. Amazing.


So this is also where Ice Cream Thumbprints came from. And now you get to be #5,001 to have the recipe, because I'm going to share it with you.

Ice Cream Thumbprints

4 cups flour
1 lb butter (the recipe calls for margarine but I used butter, because margarine is gross)
1 pint ice cream (I used Haagen Daz Five Vanilla Bean)

Mix together with hands. Hand will get cold. Stick with it. Roll 1/8 inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter. Make thumbprint. Fill with spoonfuls of red raspberry preserves. Bake at 375 for 19 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.


*I didn't roll these. Instead, I pressed into a mini ice cream scoop and made the thumbprint in that once it was on the pan.
**I used organic apricot fruit spread

Three ingredients. Amazing cookies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment