Sunday, December 12, 2010

snowed in.

BRR.

The snow stopped. We still are stuck at home though. Our landlord promised us that part of our rent included snow removal. So why then is it 2pm and our snow has not been removed? Our sidewalks have not been plowed nor has our parking area. At least we have a one-car garage which lets us store one of our vehicles. But what about the other one? The parking area is totally covered with over 2 feet of drifted snow. We dug our SUV out of the 7+ foot drift it was buried under in hopes that would allow for them to plow the area with ease; however, they have not come. My husband used the shovel we borrowed from my parents to shovel a tunnel from our back door to our garage, so we have some means of escape if necessary. Our front door is unreachable though. The snow drifts are up to the front windows. I was able to open our front door and clean off our porch, but that's it. I'm not touching the sidewalk. So our front door is inaccessible. My poor evergreen tree was covered. I cleaned him off. I hope he can survive. All in all, this is why everyone should own a good shovel, whether your landlord promises snow removal or not. Because sometimes people do not follow through. Then again, if the snow removal guys are stuck in their homes as well, I can't really blame them. I hear the city hasn't plowed residential streets yet. That's nice. And not everyone owns a SUV. Even so, those get stuck too. It happened to us yesterday in front of my parents house. 4-wheel drive and we got stuck in front of the driveway. I don't want to talk about.

Poor Max. Yesterday he buried a bagel and then couldn't find it. Then he got stuck in the snow and did not know what to do.


I made pancakes this morning. Homemade pancakes. Have I posted the recipe for the pancakes? I know I've made them before. I didn't take a picture. My camera is in my car, which is outside in the bitter cold. But here, make some pancakes.

1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons melted butter

Sift the first 4 ingredients together into a bowl. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Add the egg, milk, and melted butter. Mix together until incorporated. Using a measuring cup or something, drop onto a heated and oiled/buttered skillet. I don't think I need to tell you how to cook the pancakes.

I added chocolate chips to half of the batter and made chocolate chip pancakes.

For the other half, I added cinnamon swirl. Melt a couple tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Add cinnamon to make a thick cinnamon liquid and swirl it into the pancake batter. SWIRL, don't mix. Then drop onto the skillet. They are pretty and end up tasting like cinnamon toast crunch. Oh yum!

I am wearing a fur hat.

I pulled the blinds open and wasn't paying attention to where my hand was. I ended up smashing my finger onto one of my cactus plants. Two pokey cactus things then dug deep into my right index finger. I spent the last 25 minutes trying to dig them out. I got them out. But I almost cried. It was difficult. It hurt, and I had to use my left hand to do it, and I'm not left handed. It's my own fault for having cactus though.

Kind of like those people who keep dangerous pets. Have you ever watched that show on Animal Planet? It's called Fatal Attractions. No, it's not a biography about my past relationships, although it sounds that way. It's about lunatics who keep dangerous animals as pets. Like the lady who was obsessed with venomous snakes. Among many deadly snakes, she had a Gaboon Viper.


This snake's venom is a hemotoxin, meaning that once bitten, the prey will bleed from every orifice in its body, which includes vomiting up blood. A human will die within 15 minutes if not treated with antivenom. And who would just have this antivenom on hand? This snake is from central Africa. This snake has venom glands which produce the largest quantity of any venomous snake in the world.


And the lady on this show was letting it slither around on her living room floor while she cleaned his cage. Then he bit her and she died in a pool of her own blood.


Who wouldn't want this as a pet? I mean, why not? Wikipedia says that bites are rare because the snakes are relatively docile and are not aggressive; they are sluggish and unwilling to move even when approached, and won't bite a person unless they get scared when accidentally stepped on. Kind of like how a guy ignores you when he's watching football and only responds if you take away his snacks or the remote control. So yeah, despite the potential for danger, this would make an excellent house pet, especially around young children.

Well, as much as I want one, I have cacti instead. Those are dangerous enough, as was demonstrated earlier when I was attacked near my Christmas tree. I don't know. I think that my cat and my exotic bird are dangerous enough. Fred has sharp talons and a strong beak and he will bite you if you anger him. My cat is vicious and plots my demise on a regular basis. She has tried unsuccessfully to cause me to fall down the stairs to my death by running in front of me when the lights are off. I have enough to worry about. I don't need a pit viper threatening my life as well.

1 comment:

  1. That photo of Max is hysterical. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete