Friday, October 15, 2010

Adapting

People tend to forget that people are just like wild animals. Some in more ways that others. But I won't get into that.

We are, however, a lot like animals in that we find a way to adapt to our surroundings if we're unhappy. We do this in a number of ways. We buy different clothes (like warmer clothes for a colder climate), or we spray tan and get fake boobs (like people who move to New Jersey), or we acquire things to make us fit in better. Like rich people in nice houses and how they have to complete the picture by having a fancy dog out in their driveway. It's part of being an American, having a loyal canine companion as part of your family. Like this family. I don't know this family. All I know is that I walk by their house - a LOT - and I see this dog every day. Their home would not be complete without this dog. How does this dog stay clean? How does it not get cold in the winter since it has no hair covering its butt? I'm sure it finds a way to adapt.


That kind of dog would look out of place at my house. Instead, I have a dog who destroys the garden and thinks he is a duck.


I'm constantly trying to adapt to renting. I know that someday my husband and I will own a house and I can do whatever I want to it. But for now, we are renting. Don't get me wrong - it's not bad. It's a cute townhouse in a nice part of town. But there are things I hate. One, the carpet. It's gross. And there's nothing I can do about it. I am going to call one of those carpet cleaning places and have them come in and steam clean it so it will feel better, but that's about all I can do. If it were up to me, I'd have wood flooring installed. I don't like the linoleum in the kitchen/dining room either. I have to find a big area rug for the dining room. For now, I have adapted by putting a sweet bamboo floor mat down in my kitchen:


My bathroom upstairs is nicer than it was before we moved in. It was so gross, the whole thing had to be gutted and renovated. It's clean and has new flooring, a new mirror, and a whole new tub/shower. It's great for a rental. But still kind of screwed up. The floor is not level, for one thing. I can tell. The toilet isn't centered the way it should be. It's between the vanity and the tub, and I didn't realize that until I spent forever trying to center the two pictures I was trying to hang above it. I finally got those centered on the wall only to notice that the toilet was totally out of place. And it's not like I can move the toilet. I was angry, but I got over it.

Whoever installed the shower really didn't do the best job. Cosmetically, there are things that just aren't right. Take a look. That wood trim on the side? What's the point? Yes, there are two curtain rods. There is a reason, which I will get to shortly. The lower curtain rod is fixed there permanently. You can't move it or anything, which is fine. But the whole thing seriously looks stupid with that wood trim just stuck there. They could have either not put it there or made it go up to the ceiling. I don't know. It makes me angry.

Here's a full view of the bathroom.


I needed to do something to fix it. It made me feel uneasy. I want to feel relaxed and happy when I go in there. It needs to feel spacious. I needed to adapt in order to like my bathroom. And since I'm renting, it's not like I can rip anything off the wall or remodel it.

So I went and got one of those pressure shower curtain rods and put it up on top. It was really fun trying to get it up there while balancing on the toilet and the side of the tub. See?


Then, I purchased an extra-long shower curtain...one that would go from the floor all the way to the ceiling. It made things much better. I think it will be even better once the steam from the shower makes the wrinkles go away.


Now I don't notice that stupid wood trim anymore. It feels a lot better. I wish that the counter top and toilet weren't that gross taupe color. I'll have to find a way to adapt to that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment