Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hi, pumpkin.


It's getting cold. I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for this stupid rain. I like rain, but not in October. I already discussed this. It's making me mad. I've accepted the fact that Mother Nature is starting the crap weather early. Everyone including her must be following suit of the retail stores and their early holiday decor, which I also complained about yesterday. Except for this tree. This tree is right outside my living room window.

It continues to hold onto those last few leaves, as though October is going to stick around a bit longer. Just let them go, buddy. Just let them go. It's over. It's cold. You're all wet. I understand how you feel, but just give it up. You're only prolonging the inevitable making it more difficult to accept change.

Look at me. I've put away my sandals and flipflops. I have the snow boots ready to go. In fact, I wore them in the house last night with my long-sleeved henley pajama top. I also wore a winter coat to work. I wore my black marshmallow coat. I was laughed at. Yeah, we'll see who has the last laugh when I'm warm and toasty and you are soaking wet and cold because all you have on is a hoodie and a fleece shell! Jessie!!

I am currently wearing penguin Christmas flannel pajama pants. The pants I actually bought for my husband a few years ago. He has never worn them. I don't understand why. They are manly. I bought them from the Gap. Just because they have penguins on them doesn't mean you can't wear them! I bought them from the MEN'S section. I wish he'd wear them. But I wear them instead.

Since the house is cold, I've decided to warm it up by baking something. And since October is not quite over, I think that this pumpkin bread is extremely appropriate.


That, and it's mighty good. I can't even put it into words. I get excited to use cinnamon and nutmeg.



It's not healthy at all. I have a healthier recipe. It's my vegan recipe. I make it, not to be healthy, but when I am totally out of eggs. I have eggs right now though, so I'll save that for another day.




I'm ready to put two more blankets on my bed. I'm ready to invest in furry slippers so that I don't have to wear my snow boots around the house. I'm ready for chili and broccoli soup and warm apples. Not all together though. I'm totally ready for this bread. And muffins.



Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips.

This makes 1 9x5x4 inch loaf plus 6 giant muffins. Or two loaves. Or 1 loaf and 12 mini muffins.

I had extra and I didn't want to overflow my pan.

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups canned pumpkin (or just a can)
  • 1-1/2 cups canola oil
  • 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour into loaf pans/muffin tins. If you aren't going to use liners, spray the pans first. Unless you're using non-stick. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment