Friday, October 22, 2010

U is for Underwhelmed.

I was at Border's yesterday with my husband. We saw this funny book on an end cap:


Of course, I bought it.

I flipped to the section that talked about the region I live in. Har har! I told my husband that we definitely had to make this mini excursion. And we had to do it on Friday since I was taking the day off. Fast forward to today. Hooray! It has been a little while since we did anything stupid.

We decided to find a couple of the places closest to where we lived and not venture out too far, mainly because it is day 3 of my period and all I have are the light absorbency tampons. Guess who gets to go to the store for me later?! I refuse to go out in public feeling like crap. So really, we only had about an hour TOPS that we could be out before I had to get home and change my battery. Too gross for you? You must be a guy. Sorry. I'll stop talking about it.

Anyway, off we went. We had breakfast with my parents first though. We bought them breakfast at this Bohemian place. They always buy us food, so we decided to buy them eggs and pancakes. I was telling my dad about our idea. He thought it was funny. He mentioned a cemetery here in town that he used to run around in as a kid and get scared. So we decided to hit that up first. I'm all about old, dead things. I think cemeteries are neat though. I like looking at old grave stones.

Enter Forest Hill Cemetery! Oh, scary! [insert scary music here]

I don't know much about this cemetery other than the fact that it's big, old, and up on the East hill. I took some pictures of some gravestones because they had the Masonic symbol and an upside-down pentagram engraved.


I get that the inverted pentagram is used as a symbol for Freemasonry, referring to it as the Order of the Eastern Star, based on teachings from the Bible. But this creeps me out. It's also the symbol of Anton Lavey's Church of Satan. And it's common knowledge that this is a creepy symbol. Okay, gross. I don't want that on my headstone.

Here's a doctor who was also a Freemason.


Here are some more interesting headstones I took pictures of.

This is made of limestone. You could literally see it wearing away. If you rub your finger on it, it would crumble. No wonder they use marble or granite now.

Here are some, in order from the top: A creepy broken head stone, a head stone sinking into the ground, a neat tree-looking thing with an anchor, a creepy mausoleum, and a creepy locked up chapel with a floating orb.


Moving on, we referred to The Wisconsin Road Guide to Haunted Locations and headed to Caryville.

From Eau Claire, take Clairemont Ave to County Hwy E going west. Turn left on 890th Street, right on 260th Street, left on 240th Street. Enter Sand Hill Cemetery. This place was supposedly featured on Unsolved Mysteries. Ghosts of children have been observed running around. Blah blah. We saw nothing. It looks like it's a family plot. Everyone has the same name. There are some child graves. Kind of sad really, not scary. There were some mosquitoes. It was at the top of a hill. I made it black and white for you.


Onward down the hill to the Meridean boat landing. I guess this is supposed to be haunted, too. Highly doubtful. Looks like someone had a party or something. My husband also peed somewhere.


Further down the road is some haunted school house. There was a farmer in the field next to it using a combine to plow his field. Not haunted. But I made it black and white for you anyway.


See, everything is scary in black & white! I'll show you.

Alpaca in color....


And alpaca in black & white!! TERRIFYING!!

2 comments: