Saturday, October 2, 2010

How to boil noodles (in Taiwanese)

I've been wanting spicy peanut noodles for weeks now. It's not out of my control. I was just too lazy to make them and too cheap to go out to eat. After BFF's baby shower, I came home. Wasn't feeling well...but the thought of spicy peanut noodles........? It didn't make me feel better, but it still sounded really good.

I have these noodles. I don't know what they are. They look like they would be good in Asian food because the writing is in some sort of Asian language. I am guessing it's in whatever language they speak in Taiwan, since the package says it's a product of Taiwan. I don't know where I got these. I want to believe that I got them at an Asian store, but I probably just got them at Target.


I don't have a recipe for this. I just throw stuff together, and it changes sometimes. This is what I did today though.

Spicy Peanut Noodles

Kanto Noodles (if you can't find these same noodles, just use regular linguine)
Natural peanut butter (I go with organic and unsweetened because I don't want this to taste like a peanut butter cup)
Thai garlic paste

Thai pepper flakes

Cilantro

Lime

Carrots
(slivered)
Red bellpepper
(julienned)


I love the English translation of the directions. I couldn't make this up if I tried.



I decided against following those directions because they don't make sense to me.

"Put a bag of 375g noodles strip in a separate manner into a proper amount of boiling water. Churn the water when it is reboiling the noodles will be alone in about 5-7 minutes."

"While the water is reboiling. Turn down the stove to keep the water from overflowing, or add a cup of water to let the noodles cook to an exact hardness."

And my favorite....

"According to the seasons. You may be cool noodle or hot soup noodle."

"Rinse cooked noodles with cold water. Drain and stir fry. Taste well."

So I boiled water and I unwrapped the thing around the bunch of noodles I grabbed, and I put the noodles in the boiling water. Then I looked at them once in a while and when they looked done, I put the noodles in a bowl and kept some of the pasta water for my peanut sauce.



For the sauce, put the peanut butter, cilantro, chili-garlic paste, and red pepper flakes in a bowl.



It's important that the pasta water is hot because that's what's going to break everything down and help it come together into a nice sauce. Add the hot pasta water, a little at a time, mixing until the consistency reaches something similar to....not watery, but not thick like yogurt either. Put it this way - you're going to toss this sauce with the noodles so it's up to you how thick you want it. It needs to be thick enough to coat the noodles but not so thin that it's watery.



Squeeze the lime over it and stir.



Toss this in a bowl with the noodles. Throw in the carrots and red bellpepper and lightly mix with tongs until the noodles are coated. Eat it. Yum.



It tastes better if you put it in an Asian looking bowl, like this square one. Don't be fooled though - I got this from Target, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment