Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Roaring Twenties

The Roaring Twenties is a phrase used to describe the 1920s in North America, Paris, London, and Berlin. The phrase was meant to emphasize the period's social, artistic, and cultural dynamism. Then the Wall Street Crash of 1929 punctuated the end of the era, as the Great Depression set in. The era was further distinguished by several inventions and discoveries of far-reaching importance, unprecedented industrial growth, accelerated consumer demand and aspirations, and significant changes in lifestyle.

Thanks, Wikipedia. I just plagiarized you. Actually, no I didn't - since I am now giving you credit.

I have a point. I just figured this out, too. I wanted to talk about how today is my birthday. But nobody really cares much about birthdays once you hit a certain age, and now, as an adult in my late 20s, I need to find a way to remind myself that life is still really sweet. This might sound stupid, but getting older is different for a girl than it is for a guy. I'm not going so far as to complain about how I'm getting old, because I know I'm not old, based on my older friends telling me to shut up about it because I haven't hit 30 yet, nor have I hit 40. And if I complain about every birthday, pretty soon I WILL actually be old and realize that I never enjoyed being young since I was so concerned about being old.

I like to compare myself at this point, to one of the greatest decades of all time.

In 1920, Prohibition began in the United States. When I turned 20, I just couldn't bear having to wait another year before I was able to get into bars with all of my friends. Being someone who graduated high school a year earlier than normal, I was always at least a year younger than my friends. When I was 20, I made my first and last attempt at using a fake ID to enter a bar. It was a failed attempt. It was one of the worst fake IDs I had ever seen, and it was super embarrassing when the guy kept the ID and wouldn't let me inside.

Here's a picture of me when I was 20. I had a pierced tongue and wore a lot of eye shadow. That's my mom.


In 1921, the lie detector was invented. You didn't know that? Neither did I, until recently. When I turned 21, I went nuts. I drank entirely too much and acted like a complete douche. I went out all of the time and kissed a lot of boys, and skipped class because of my constant hangover. I also associated with a lot of horrible people and dated a lot of horrible guys who lied to me 99% of the time. To be honest, it was a pretty stupid year.


In 1922, King Tut's tomb was discovered. When I was 22, I discovered that my ex-boyfriend had robbed my apartment after I dumped him. I also discovered Las Vegas in my effort to turn a new leaf. I also discovered my [future] husband in Las Vegas.


In 1923, talking movies were invented! I love movies. When I was 23, I became more serious with [future] husband. I also scored a sweet job and was able to pay off all of my credit cards. Also went back to finish school. Score.

In 1924, nothing exciting really happened as far as I'm concerned. Nothing exciting happened in my life, either. Oh wait, my husband asked me to marry him. I said yes, of course. I guess that's pretty exciting.


In 1925, Hitler published Mein Kampf. Flapper dresses were also in style. When i was 25, got married. Hooray!


In 1926, nothing good happened that I can think of. When I was 26, I graduated from college, which was good. Finally. But then the rest of the year sucked. My nana died, which ruined me, and quite honestly, I'm still not over it. I don't think I ever will be. I miss her every day. A lot of people I knew died that year. It was a really crappy year, truthfully.

In 1927, Babe Ruth hit a home run record. I don't really care about baseball. I think someone also flew across the ocean. I don't know. When I was 27, some good and some bad things happened. My grandpa died, creating a new wound and pouring salt on the wound I still had from when my nana died. That sucked. On another end, I scored a really sweet job which I love. And then my family had to sell the lake house, which has been in the family for 50+ years and was my only connection to my grandparents. Sad. And then I got pregnant. Yay! And then I lost my baby. Sad. So I don't know. It was a good year, and a really horrible year at the same time. It was a bipolar year. I'm really trying to focus on the good. The good is supposed to outweigh the bad. Maybe that's why I cried on my 27th birthday. Maybe my mood was a foreshadowing of things to come.

Okay. So here I am today. My husband got me some sweet new boots. I'm not able to wear them yet because there isn't snow on the ground. I hate snow. But at least when it snows, I have these boots to wear. Aside from getting to wear these new boots, I wonder what will happen to me this year. Will something good happen with work? Will I have a baby? Or will I get hot and skinny? Well, either way I have these boots. I'm pretty excited about them. What boots, you might wonder? I haven't taken a picture of them yet. But having to deal with cold, Wisconsin winters, you need something that will keep your feet warm when you are forced to help shovel your parents driveway or you have to go to the mailbox or to the grocery store late at night for Oreos. The Ugg Adirondack II boots are the best boots ever, because not only are they functional, but super cute. I mean, come on. I love Uggs. I don't care what people say. I have a pink pair and a gray pair of Ugg sweater boots, along with the black classic tall boots. But they aren't waterproof. These are.
What happened in 1928? They invented bubblegum. And Mickey Mouse. And sliced bread. And Penicillin. Great things.

Last year all I did for my birthday was complain about how I was 27 and old. Well now I'm 28 and I am bound and determined to enjoy the fact that I am still in my 20s. I'm going to plow through my 20s with a vengeance accompanied by exercising like a mad woman, baking yummy unhealthy food, and spending lots of time with all of my favorite people. I have a year before I have to face the Crash of 29 followed by the Great Depression that comes with being 30.

This will be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment