Monday, October 4, 2010

I am completely out of dishwashing detergent

So because of that, I'm not going to eat anything. I had planned on going to the store tonight. I had also planned on doing laundry. Neither of those things happened.

Isn't fall wonderful? Look how pretty.


This past weekend, a friend/coworker and I got together to take on a sewing project. Truth is, I've never sewn anything in my life. I've knitted scarves and I'm not terrible at that, but I don't know how to sew. I think it's just because I've never tried. I have a sewing machine that I inherited from my Nana and I have never used it. I really should just bust it out and try. In any case, my friend/coworker has a sewing machine that she has never used, and I have this cute baby bunting pattern that we both wanted to try making.

She picked me up at my house and we drove out into the country. If you're going to do something old-fashioned (like sew), it's so much more fun if you drive out to a farm or something. Now, her parents don't live on a farm. but they live in farm country. So we drove out there. What the heck, right? It was lovely with the trees changing color and all. I was really angry for not bringing my camera.

We got to her parents' house and she put the pizza in the oven. Oh yeah, before we left the metropolis which is my town, she picked up a veggie deLite (yes, that's how it's spelled) pizza and some cheesy breadsticks from Papa Murphy's.

So we ate some veggie pizza from Papa Murphy's. That was really important. We also drank Squirt soda, which I have decided is the same thing as Fresca. Remember Fresca? It's okay if you don't.

Around this time was when I was enjoying the beautiful view of the countryside (her parents live up on a hill and you can see rolling hills and cornfields and trees below) and I noticed the most gigantic wasp nest hanging in a tree right outside. Again, I was ANGRY that I did not bring my camera. This would have made for an amazing blog entry.

It was the kind of beehive from the movie, My Girl. Remember that one? Remember when Thomas J and Veda ran from the bees after knocking it down and they had to jump into the lake? And then later on Thomas J went back to the woods to find Veda's mood ring, and he ended up near the beehive, and his glasses fell off, and then he died?! This movie just goes to show that you should never, EVER, go into the woods alone whilst wearing your eyeglasses. Because they could fall off, resulting in immediate and total blindness, during which you will become covered in bees, and die.

After discussing this fact with my friend/coworker, we proceeded to embark on the project which we had set out to do.

We opened up the pattern and stared at it for a while. Then we cut out the pieces we needed to use. Then we pinned the pieces to material and cut that out. It took a while. Then we tried to figure out her sewing machine...or rather, she tried to figure it out and I stared at her.

A sewing machine is a foreign object to me. It might as well have been a brown bear eating an Oreo and speaking German. I'd stare at it and not know what to do. So that's what I did. She did something with the thread and a piece of plastic and made a bobbin. I learned that day what a bobbin was. Then we tested the machine out on a scrap piece of fabric. Or rather, she did, as I watched some more. She figured it out. I sort of got it. But at that point, we had spent the entire day trying to "figure things out" and it was time to go home. We have a day coming up in which we are not working. This is not by choice. It is so our wonderful government can save money, by giving us an unpaid day off. It's all good. My plans for the day include a dental appointment in the morning and (hopefully) finishing the sewing project in the afternoon. My friend/coworker will be coming to my house that day, sewing machine and all. Perhaps we will have another take & bake pizza. Or perhaps I'll make scones. The possibilities are endless.

Here are 10 things that happened today, in no particular order:

1.) I walked downtown on my break and discovered a wonderful store called Tangled Up in Hue. I'm in love, and have found a new place to spend money.

2.) I got oatmeal from Starbucks. It was disappointing, like every single time. It always turns out like drywall paste. It's like they don't put enough water in it. I should just stop going there for oatmeal. I should just make my own. It'd be cheaper and better.

3.) I wore my pink sweater boots.

4.) My cat threw up and I had to clean it. That actually just happened now. I was hungry before, and now I am not.

5.) I ate quinoa and pesto for dinner. I also had a salad. It was boring.

6.) I just realized that all I've eaten today is oatmeal and quinoa and a salad. I'm wondering if that's why I don't feel well.

7.) I got a postcard in the mail from Gloria Jean's. It's a coupon for a free small beverage. I plan to use it on one of those pumpkin spice chillers. I need to come clean. I know that I worked at Starbucks for two years; however, it has been almost two years since I quit, and during that time I have made it a point to branch out. Starbucks lattes are still better, but their frappuccinos are not. They are too icy or too watery, many times both. They aren't creamy and I feel that they should be. Gloria Jeans has much better blended coffee beverages. Starbucks frappuccinos are sub-par, as is their oatmeal.

8.) I started knitting a scarf. Then I took it apart.

9.) I realized how attractive my husband is. That's a regular thing. But when he gets his haircut, I'm reminded of it all over again. I like military guys and firefighters. I'm so lucky that my husband is both. It's like I'm living the dream in the man department.

10.) I realized how much I love my job. Seriously, if they don't make me a permanent employee, I'm going to be sad. Seriously, job, I love you. Don't you get it? Do you not understand how serious I am? We've been together almost a year. I've taken that leap, why haven't you? I've interviewed twice, three times if you count the very first time before I was hired, and we're still in limbo? I'm disappointed, job. All of this beautiful time we've shared...I thought we had something real. And I thought you felt it too. If you felt it like I did, I think it's about time that you let me know that you are in this for the long haul. I'm tired of these mind games. I'm starting to doubt you and question whether I should have saved myself for someone interested in commitment. You are ruining me, and I am developing trust issues. Tears on my pillow, job. Tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment