Friday, January 7, 2011

once a month...

OH! Before I forget, here is a fun wallpaper! I'm going put this on my computer when I get back to work on Monday. I love it.

I hate the first weekend of the month. Unless the first weekend of the month is a holiday, then I hate the second weekend of the month. It sucks. That's the weekend Husband always has to leave for training. It's worse in the winter time, because I always worry about him driving an hour and a half if the roads are bad. I know I shouldn't worry. He's a good driver. I just worry though and I can't help it. I should stop, because it's not going to help anything, and it certainly isn't going to make it easier on me. Then, being pregnant, I get sad and cry, and he feels bad about having to leave. So I pretty much make it worse for both of us.

I want chocolate. So before he left, I went to the store with him. He had to pick up some snacks. So I wanted to get chocolate. I wanted chocolate mousse. You can get the instant kind from the box and it takes 5 minutes to make, then you throw it in the fridge for an hour. Now, before you judge me for making boxed dessert, I'll have you know that actual chocolate mousse is a tedious and time consuming project, of which I do not have the energy to embark on.

You need like 7 eggs, chopped bittersweet chocolate, sugar, salt, heavy cream, kirschwasser, drive, ambition; the last two ingredients, the most important, are things I do not have. You have to melt the chocolate over simmering water in a heat-proof bowl, then in another bowl you have to whip the cream into stiff peaks, and if you do it too much making it become grainy, you have to throw it out and start over. Then in a third bowl, you have to whip the egg whites, which you should have separated from the yolks to begin with. Then you have to put sugar in that and whip it into a meringue. THEN you have to fold in the egg yolks and kirschwasser. THEN you have to fold in the melted chocolate. THEN you have to fold in the whipped cream. THEN you have to chill it for 2 hours. By the time you are done, you don't even want it anymore, especially if you are pregnant. And being pregnant, you can't have uncooked egg. I've learned really quick that if I want something, I need to have it within 5 minutes because if it takes forever to make, I won't want it by the time it is done. I suppose there are different ways to make it, but this way is best...

Hence, chocolate mousse from a box. Granted, it's not as good....kind of like microwaving an eggroll. But sometimes you have to lower your expectations in order to be happy. Ooh...eggrolls. That sounds good....

So I am alone with my instant chocolate mousse, my cat, my bird, and a sore tummy. I'm tempted to go with Husband on these weekends as the weather warms up...but then I'll be more pregnant, and what if something goes wrong? On Sundays, he doesn't get done with work until 4:30 yet has to check out of the hotel no later than 10am (he usually does it when he leaves for work at 7am). So this means I would have to check out of the hotel at 10am, and then find something to do for the whole day. I can't shop all day, mainly because I'm so tired and I pee all the time. You can't ask a pregnant woman to have no option of napping for 6 hours straight if she's going to be on her feet the entire time. Not good. So, whatever.

Husband hung up some spray millet for Fred to munch on. He hung it sort of in the middle of his cage. Fred, being the proper bird he is, drug it over to his food dish and eats it over there. Just like someone who would rather eat at the dining room table instead of in front of the television. I love Fred.

I also picked up a box of blueberry muffin mix. Sad, huh? At the store I was in the baking aisle and all of a sudden I wanted cake and muffins. Along with the mousse. Pathetic. Now I have this box of muffin mix that I really shouldn't make. Maybe I'll wait and make it on Sunday when Husband comes home. It's blueberry. Homemade is always better...but blueberries are not in season and I am not going to spend $5 on a 1/4 pint at the grocery store. So, $1.00 Krusteaz muffin mix. Yay! I'm a homemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment