Saturday, January 1, 2011

resolutions. and fingerfoods.

I lied about not making resolutions. I will make some. They are totally doable.

I will have more fun.

I will make more finger foods.


I will do more outside activities.


I would say something like, "I'll stop making fun of people on television" or "I'll stop making fun of people with stupid names," but that's really hard to do. Especially if you are a football player named Nick Toon. Or if you are a local male news anchor and you are obviously wearing lipstick.

Speaking of names...I haven't been able to think of any names that I like enough to force my child to live with it forever. Chances are I'll pick something classic and timeless....a name he or she can like when they're a kid and still feel good about when they are older. Unlike some other people. Check this out. One thing I've learned when it comes to picking a name...imagine your child's name on a resume. Imagine what it would be like if they are a district attorney or some other public figure. Would people take her seriously if her name was Heavenly Spring? Or how about Trinity Star? Sounds more like a stripper name if you ask me. If it's a girl and it sounds like a stripper name, don't use it. And if it sounds like he or she will never be taken seriously, don't use it. "All rise for the honorable Judge, Tremendous Johnson." Seriously.

Sometimes I question what people are thinking. There is nothing wrong with being different, but consider your child and how he or she will feel having to live with the name "Latrina" (which means "toilet" in Italian) or "Meconium" (that nasty oily black stuff that your baby poops out for the first time). Honestly people. Stop it. It needs to end.

I like the name Sophie. And I've always liked the name Isabella. But if I go and name my kid Isabella, everyone will think I did that because of the Twilight movies, which would be both pathetic and sad. And I'd never name my kid after a bad movie character. I suppose people will speculate whatever they want, no matter what name we pick and I'll just have to put up with it or punch them in the face. I'll probably just punch them in the face, as that's much more satisfying and productive. So don't make fun of my kid's name. I'll punch you in the face.

Oh, back to finger foods though - here are two super easy yummy things that I made for New Years Eve to share with my friends. I have no pictures. Sorry.

Piggies in a Blanket:

1 can of crescent rolls
1 small package of little smokies (we used the beef kind)

Pop open the can of crescent rolls. Carefully. This always terrifies me. Cut the triangles smaller, enough to pair one with each mini hotdog. Then, wrap them around the hotdogs. Bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes, until lightly browned on the outside. Super good.

Tortilla Pinwheels

1 package of flour tortillas
2 packages of cream cheese
1 small jar of pimientos
1 packet of dry Ranch mix
3-4 scallions, sliced

Combine all ingredients using the paddle attachment in your stand mixer. Sorry if you don't have a stand mixer. Use a hand mixer then. It helps if you let the cream cheese soften to room temperature. Once mixed, spread on tortillas and roll tortillas up. Refrigerate the rollups for an hour or so to firm up, then cut into slices. I love these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment