Thursday, November 11, 2010

email memoirs - first and probably last

This is slightly blurry because I had the camera on the wrong setting, but still makes for a pretty desktop background. My boss likes it. That made me happy.


Since I've obtained permanent status in the office, now I have to move to a different unit. With a new supervisor. The State does things weird, and there's so much red tape, and this other unit is the one that had the vacancy in it, so off I go. I'm a bit sad. I love my supervisor and I love the people in my unit. BUT, I am sure this other unit will be just as nice. Probably just different, and I'll have to get to know people, but it will be okay. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with it. It's not like I'm going very far. Just across the office to the other side. The other side. I think it will be okay. Tomorrow is the big day of moving. Packing up my stuff and rolling it to the other side. And since my favorite coworker and I will not physically see each other unless we physically walk to the other side of the building, all we have is e-mail.

I love my e-mails between my coworker and myself. However, today, we attended a meeting with our division administrator and a couple of other important people from State, including the internal security guy. Among other things discussed, e-mail and internet usage was a topic, and my coworker and I felt as though the spotlight was directly on us. Chances are a lot of other people felt that way too, but as a precaution, we've decided to try and cut back on our e-mailing back and forth. Not that we ever talk about anything bad, but we were reminded that everything of ours is technically public record and we have no privacy as we work for the government. Which means, that they (whoever 'they' are) can pull our data and look at it, and...well, we don't want to look bad. So we are going to just put ourselves in check for a while. But, this was done prior to that meeting, so for good measure, I'll share it. It's wonderful. And in a way, kind of like a last hurrah.

If we're cutting back on e-mails, what do we have? Memories. Only memories.

I am sad.


From: Co-worker
To: Me
Subject: You don't have to say yes...


But, my sister-in-law, called me yesterday and offered to do a baby shower for me. She's the one who married my brother. That's super awesome of her to do that for me/us. She asked if I had anyone in the area that would be able to help a little and I thought of you. You don't have to say yes just because you're my BFF :P You can say no. She is a great planner, unlike any person I've seen before. Plus I can be pretty dang honest with her and that's hard to come by. So with her mad planning skills I don't think she'll need a ton of help, but it can be a lot of work for one person. She said she planned her friend's baby shower recently (the bitchy maid of honor) and she planned it with a girl she didn't know and it went well.

I'm going to get in touch with my other friends to see how many people they're willing to host. Because I need to figure out who to invite to which shower. I'm also going to start making a guest list.

So anyways, you can choose to be a hostess or a guest. :P

From: Me
To: Co-worker
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

I'd be happy to help her. I can make cupcakes or something and help her decorate at least.


From: Co-worker
To: Me
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

OK, cool, thanks :) I'll let her know. I want to help out too in some way.

From: Me
To: Co-worker
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

I really like the baking part of it. I love making cupcakes. It's so much fun. Then people eat them and compliment me on how great they are.

From: Co-worker
To: Me
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

Haha, OK. I'll let her know you have dessert covered and are willing to tape pink and blue streamers to the wall.

From: Me
To: Co-worker
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

Sweet. Yes. That is ALL I am willing to do. Nothing more, nothing less. Streamers only. I won't blow up balloons or tape up a "baby" sign.

From: Co-worker
To: Me
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

I will let her know you will only contribute by showing up a half hour before the event with cupcakes and streamers and you'll ask to use her scotch tape.

From: Me
To: Co-worker
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

Yes, tell her that. Also tell her I do not plan on staying after I tape up the streamers and put the cupcakes on a paper plate on the table.

From: Co-worker
To: Me
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...


HA!! So I'll tell her not to expect much. Got it :P

From: Me
To: Co-worker
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

They will also be Hostess Cupcakes. I will take the time to unwrap them from the package though. Do you also want Twinkies? I can cut them in half.

From: Co-worker
To: Me
Subject: RE: You don't have to say yes...

Die in a fire.

Oh well. It is what it is. I suppose now that we will be separated we will both probably get more work done. We were productive before, but imagine how much more productive we will be now. I hope I enjoy my new unit. I hope they are as fun as my current unit. If not...well, then I guess I will just have to get used to the change. Change can be good sometimes, I suppose. Know what? I'm excited. :)

Speaking of change, I made a grilled cheese sandwich with gluten-free bread. It's alright. Nothing that I'd go out of my way to do again though. But I'm really full. Weird.

Oh, and on another note, I came home to find that my landlord granted my request (or rather, he just wanted me to stop calling him) and installed brand new toilets in both of our bathrooms. I feel like my life just keeps improving every day. Now I can get to poo in a toilet that nobody else has poo'd in. My life is wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. i'm happy for you and the permanent placement. glad things are starting to turn in your favor. it's long overdue.

    ReplyDelete