Saturday, November 6, 2010

recurrent dream #1


What's this? Two blogs in one day?! I have a lot of free time this evening. It's good.

Really though, I'm perplexed. It's driving me crazy. I constantly have this same, recurrent dream. Probably at least twice a week. Maybe only once a week. Often enough though. I hate it. It usually has different details and different people in it, but it's always the same thing. It goes like this.

Scenario A:

It's my last semester of college. I'm getting ready to graduate. I find out that I apparently registered for a class (whether it was the beginning of the semester or a year prior) and forgot I was enrolled in it; therefore, I never attended. Because of that, I'm failing, and I will not graduate because I need this class to graduate.

Scenario B:

I realize that it's a couple weeks until graduation and for some reason, I have missed a whole bunch of days in a particular math class and have fallen behind. Thus, I cannot catch up, and I will not graduate.

Scenario C:

I am all of a sudden transported back to my senior year of college. Apparently I have been there and it's mid-semester, but I am coming back after taking 2 weeks off. I do not know where any of my classes are, nor do I know what I am registered for. I am sitting on a bench in the middle of campus, and I have a panic attack because I am bad at math and all of my classes are math classes. As if it wasn't bad enough.

Scenario D:

It's right before graduation. I haven't missed any school. But I am notified that I have failed all of my classes, and must do it all over again.

Last night was scenario D, but it had an encore attached. The reason I flunked was because Jessie let me copy all of her work, and she purposely gave me all the wrong answers. Furthermore, because I have flunked a specific class, I don't get to go on some trip to Argentina with the rest of my class, but she gets to go. I don't get it because we had the same answers on everything. It's not right.

I don't know why I keep dreaming about school. I graduated from college in 2008. I got decent grades. It's over. Done. I have a bachelors degree from a good State university and that part of my life is done. Why does this keep coming back to haunt me? Honestly, I enjoyed college. I wouldn't mind being in school again if I had to, but that's not the point. Clearly there's something I am not addressing and I am not sure what it is, but it's ruining my sleep.

Pretty soon I'm sure I'll dream something with all four scenarios at once and I will be naked. Not looking forward to that.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll bite, lol! Most recurring dreams do not vary so much. They usually stick fairly close to the same thing happening over & over again. So your dream tells me that this is a fairly recent dream sequence. People who have recurring dreams wind up doing something heroic in their lives; some deed where the dreamer saves someone through a high-risk act/action. The dream can go on for years and when the act of heroism is fulfilled, the dream stops, so it's a good idea to log the dream for reference, (which you've obviously done here). The dream's main indication,(they can have several indications within the same dream), & main message however, is *a search for recognition.* Whenever a school,books or tests are involved, the dreamer/you are looking for validation & recognition...and rightfully so! You have remakable talent my dear! You have a bright sense of humor; your films & your writing are delightful, clever & witty and you should be doing this for a living! This is a talent which is not being fulfilled or recognized and your Superego knows it, so it keeps sending the message to you in your sleep. You might want to consider going for your Masters Degree. That's the really fun degree in which you can do you own thing; your own research...where you can leave your own personal mark to be recognized for all time! That's what your dream is saying...Go for it! You're young & distinctly "Masters material!" You should also write a book!!! And KEEP BLOGGING- It's Delightful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! That gives some clarity. Thank you! I need to figure this out. And I will. I think it's a good idea for me to document what I dream about. Maybe I can start seeing a pattern. Must figure this out..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is so intense. I tend to have a few different dreams but always some same themes. some of them are scary. some of them are weird. and some good. but usually the same with little to no difference. usually dealing with school and friends from high school days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that I found your blog.... I have been having the same recurring dream for years and I graduated high school in 94 and college in 98 and like you, my dreams are about failing high school and not being able to go to graduation. Sometimes the dreams inter-lap with the present and I am walking down the halls of my old high school not understanding why I was failing, but my three children are with me and all I keep thinking is how am I going to tell my parents that I am not graduating. It is driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete