Saturday, November 27, 2010

husband makes baked goods. :)

Yum. I made tiramisu hot cocoa.


It was instant. I should send packets of these to my friends. I want to share the joy. I still have to send Kate her birthday gift. Her birthday was in October. I keep forgetting to send it. It's sitting on my kitchen table. I'm a bad person.

Look! It's my cat, Salem. He's in a box.


I have Thanksgiving with my inlaws tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy spending time with them. I always bake a pecan pie, green bean casserole, and I also do the mashed potatoes. I usually bring appetizers and treats too. I have a port wine cheeseball that I'm bringing. I also made a smoked salmon cheeseball. I had also planned on making oatmeal raisin cookies.

But I don't feel good today. When is baking not fun? When you are nauseous.

Luckily, I have a husband who is willing to help me. He made the pecan pie.


And the cookies.


I just stood there and told him what to do. And it turned out really nice. See? Anyone can bake good stuff. :)

I'm cranky today. So I'm going to share with you 10 things that annoy me, because I'm in the mood to complain. Sue me.

1.) Milk mustaches on adults. It's not cute and it's not funny. It's gross, especially when it's eggnog and you are talking. Get away from me.

2.) People who don't wear deodorant. A stick of deodorant is less than $3.00 at Walgreens. I suggest you wear it. Otherwise, get away from me.

3.) People who drive too close to me. I'm sorry that I am going 5 mph OVER the speed limit and it's still not fast enough for you. Get away from me.

4.) People who talk incessantly and repeat the same thing 4 times before making their point...or sometimes not making their point at all. What? Get away from me.

5.) People who don't brush their teeth. You have green teeth and your breath is exacerbating my nausea. Get away from me.

6.) My nausea. My cramps. I can't blame anyone for this. I can't even tell anyone to get away from me. Wait, yes I can. I don't feel good. Get away from me.

7.) Cake-making contest reality TV shows. People will sit in the audience for 6 hours and watch 4 teams of people build an extreme cake. Those people have no life. But I am sitting here watching this show. What does this say about me?

8.) When I worked at Starbucks, customers would come through the drive-thru and as they were leaving, they'd say, "Thanks a latte!" Guess what? You aren't clever or funny. You're stupid. Get away from me.

9.) I feel like every time I think there is nothing in the world that a reality show hasn't been centered around, a new stupid reality show comes out. The latest? "Pit Bulls and Parolees." I'm not even kidding. Make a reality show about me. You can follow me day to day and listen to me complain about how I don't feel good. And at the end of the season, you can find out why I'm not feeling well.

10.) It bothers me when I send someone a nice e-mail and they don't respond. I think it's rude.

I'm going to stop complaining now. Husband has informed me that he is going to the store because he wants eggnog. He was listening to me complain about adults with eggnog mustaches so now he wants eggnog. But he's also going to pick me up a jar of Nutella. I'm not annoyed anymore. :)

Here are the recipes we used.

Pecan Pie (as adapted from the Karo corn syrup bottle)

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp brandy (my addition - not in the recipe)
2 cups of pecans (the recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 cups but I use more because I live dangerously)

Combine first 6 ingredients until mixed well. Add pecans and mix. Pour into an unbaked deep dish pie shell and bake for one hour at 350 degrees. Oh joy!!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (as adapted from the oatmeal silo)

2 sticks of butter
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar in another bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix. Add the oats and raisins and mix. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. We used a big ice cream scoop and did 6 cookies per sheet, baking them around 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment