Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"It's called steroids."

I remember once complaining to my husband about the pain I have the day after working out. I know it's a good thing because my muscles (or lack of right now) are not used to it. They're working hard and it's going to hurt the next day. But then the day after that it's a bit better once they've recovered. It just sucks, because in the meantime it's not like I can lay around and take a break until it feels better. It would be so much better for them to just take less time to recover. I told my husband that I wish they made some sort of pill or supplement that I could take that would make my muscles recover a lot faster so I could work out more in a shorter amount of time. He was like, "They do have something like that. They're called steroids, and they're illegal."

Oh.

I decided to partake in Spin class for a second time. Yeah, I didn't go to it anymore last week. The butt trauma I experienced was too much do it again in the same week. I couldn't. I did other things that turned out to be just as traumatic to my butt in different ways. Squats?? Don't even talk to me. But I went today. Despite the massive amount of squats I did yesterday. Seriously, just when I think I can't feel worse, I do something more and it hurts more.

Monday I did pilates and yesterday I wanted to die because of it. But then I met with my trainer and spent 30 minutes in hell doing squats in between other pain-inducing exercises. Today I am in more pain than yesterday. And what do I do? I go to spin class and bike up a bunch of hills and through a bunch of imaginary sand. Prior to Spin class today, I was at work and complained all day to Jessie how it hurt to sit and to move. I went to the bathroom at one point and had trouble getting off of the toilet. Yeah, laugh now. We'll see who is laughing when I can bounce a quarter off of my left butt cheek. But for now, my butt feels indescribably ruined. So do my thighs and hamstrings. That seat on the spin bike can suck it, along with the supposedly padded seat which doesn't feel padded at all. I survived though. At one point I drank some water and was so disoriented that I choked on my water and almost drowned. While riding a stationary bike. The instructor actually got off of her bike to come check on me. I told her I was fine and that I was drowning but it would be okay. She was like, "GREAT!! GOOD JOB!!!!"

Thanks. Yes, I am proud of myself as well.

I’ve noticed that, when working out, people always wear shorts or a t-shirt from the last organized league they played in. The huge guy doing squats has his college lacrosse shorts on. And the dude in the corner with his middle school tennis shirt on, well, you know he hasn’t worked out in a while. I wear my high school junior year prom committee shirt. I don't know what this says about me.

I did take it upon myself to go to Smoothie Girl afterward though. That was not bad. Kind of pricey, but now I don't have to eat dinner. I had a banana chocolate peanut butter smoothie with protein. I know what you are thinking, but it didn't undo my workout. It was healthy and good. I watched her make it. No junk. Just a banana and some other crap.

And finally, I have this irrational fear that I have to talk about. I face it every day when I leave the gym. As I am going up the escalator, I fear that I will lose my balance (because I am tired and disoriented) and fall down. If that should happen, because the escalator is going up, I would just keep falling forever and ever, like a never ending death stair treadmill. I wonder if I am the only one who has this fear. It's valid.

No comments:

Post a Comment